Pear and Arugula Salad (from Allrecipes.com)
- 1 recipe Lemon Vinaigrette, recipe below
- 2 red Bartlett pears
- 12 cups arugula (about 8 oz.)
- 1/3 cup dry roasted, salted sunflower kernels
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Shredded lemon Peel (optional)
1. Prepare Lemon Vinaigrette. Transfer 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette dressing to large bowl. Quarter, core, and seed pears. Cut each quarter in thin slices; add to dressing in bowl. Let stand for 15 minutes.
2. Add arugula to pears; toss lightly to coat. Transfer to serving platter. Top with sunflower kernels, Parmesan, and lemon peel. Serve with remaining dressing. Cover and refrigerate remaining vinaigrette up to 1 week. Makes 8 servings.
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
In bowl combine lemon peel, lemon juice, sugar, and kosher salt. Gradually whisk in olive oil.
Arugula Pesto (from Farmer John's Cookbook) This is a good way to use a larger leaf, very peppery arugula. The cheese, pine nuts and oil helps mellow the arugula. This is delicious over pasta, tossed with roasted potatoes or steamed vegetables.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 cups mature arugula
1/2 cup freshly grated Asiago cheese (about 1 1/2 oz).
1/2 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic, smashed
salt and pepper to taste
Toast the pine nuts in a dry, heavy skillet over high heat until they start to brown in spots and become fragrant. Transfer the nuts to a dish to cool. Combine the arugula, Asiago, oil, garlic, and pine nuts in a blender or food processor; process until thoroughly combined and smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Return to Recipe Directory